Faculty & Staff Positions
Industry & Commercial Positions
Senior Principal Scientist, Crystallography
Description: The candidate is responsible for preparing and solving single crystal structures for small organic molecules, maintaining the instruments and in-house crystal structure database. The candidate should be familiar with
Cambridge Crystal Structural Database, structural solution from powder pattern and quantitative phase analysis,
and have an understanding of fundamental solid state chemistry for application in pharmaceutical research and
development. Knowledge and experience in molecular dynamic modeling are a plus.
The candidate will design and execute independent research that supports R&D projects, implement new ideas
and novel approaches using structural informatics tools for problem solving, build collaboration with colleagues in
Material and Analytical Sciences (MAS) and cross-functional groups, implement and communicate tactics for
achieving overall project goals.
As an employee of Boehringer Ingelheim, you will actively contribute to the discovery, development and delivery
of our products to our patients and customers. Our global presence provides opportunity for all employees to
collaborate internationally, offering visibility and opportunity to directly contribute to the companies' success. We
realize that our strength and competitive advantage lie with our people. We support our employees in a number of
ways to foster a healthy working environment, meaningful work, diversity and inclusion, mobility, networking and
work-life balance. Our competitive compensation and benefit programs reflect Boehringer Ingelheim's high regard
for our employees.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Leads in designing and implementing experimental studies and concepts that contribute to the core group goals and reflect expert knowledge. Proposes and oversees application of new technologies, techniques and processes that allow MAS to deliver with minimum resources and high scientific quality to achieve the project goals
Responsible for maintaining X-ray diffractometer, preparation of quality technical reports and maintaining in-house database. Maintain publication/presentation /patent record as appropriate for discipline
- Functions as an acknowledged resource and technical leader within and outside MAS in crystallography. Provide guidance and expertise to advance, evaluate and propose new technologies and concepts, in support of multiple R&D projects.
- Apply single crystal structural information or Rietveld refinements to address and assist in finding solutions. For example, using the single crystal structures generated for phase purity analysis, or predict the likelihood of additional crystal forms, etc.; Provide guidance and expertise to propose new technologies and concepts in support of multiple projects
- Demonstrates broad knowledge in field of expertise. Keeps abreast of relevant literature and its interpretation; develops visibility outside of functional area
- Demonstrated ability to work with diverse teams across the spectrum from discovery to development to commercial operations to identify where advanced data analysis can assist in solving problems; Demonstrated ability to integrate successfully into teams where needed without the existence of well defined work practices. Demonstrated ability to work successfully with diverse, multifunctional teams
- Complies with all applicable regulations. Ensures that work performed in area of responsibility is conducted in a safe and compliant manner. Manage all aspects of laboratory operations
- Demonstrates fiscal responsibility with respect to cost of experiments, technology, external collaborations, and travel
- PhD Degree or equivalent with seven plus (7+) years of relevant experience
- Relevant experience and knowledge in small molecule crystallography and powder diffraction for structural solution and preferably a range of scientific areas and/or techniques related to pharmaceutical materials science.
- Demonstrated understanding of solid state chemistry and material science beyond crystallography.
- The ability to synthesize new materials would be a plus
- Significant experience and expert knowledge in subject matter field
- Ability to perform significant independent scientific research
- Proven track record in internal presentations and reports, external presentations/publications, patents
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills combined with strong ability to influence and gain collaboration
- Appropriate level of understanding of applicable regulations
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States without restriction.
- Must be willing to submit to a background investigation, including verification of your past employment, criminal history, and educational background
- Must be willing to take a drug test and post-offer physical (if required)
- Must be 18 years of age or older
Boehringer Ingelheim is a different kind of pharmaceutical company, a privately held company with the ability to
have an innovative and long term view. Our focus is on scientific discoveries that improve patients' lives and we
equate success as a pharmaceutical company with the steady introduction of truly innovative medicines.
Boehringer Ingelheim is the largest privately held pharmaceutical corporation in the world and ranks among the
world's 20 leading pharmaceutical corporations. At Boehringer Ingelheim, we are committed to delivering value
through innovation. Employees are challenged to take initiative and achieve outstanding results. Ultimately, our
culture and drive allows us to maintain one of the highest levels of excellence in our industry. Boehringer
Ingelheim, including Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals, Inc., Boehringer Ingelheim USA, Boehringer Ingelheim
Roxane Inc., Roxane Laboratories Inc., Boehringer Ingelheim Chemicals, Boehringer Ingelheim Vetmedica Inc. Ben
Venue Laboratories Inc. and Boehringer Ingelheim Fremont, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer.
Minority/Female/Protected Veteran/Person with a Disability
Boehringer Ingelheim is firmly committed to ensuring a safe, healthy, productive and efficient work environment
for our employees, partners and customers. As part of that commitment, Boehringer Ingelheim conducts pre-employment background investigations and drug screenings.
Institution: Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals Inc.
Location: Ridgefield, CT, USA
Start Date: When candidate is identifiedContact: https://boehringer.taleo.net/careersection/2/jobdetail.ftl?job=144798&lang=en&sns_id=mailto
back to top
Description: Small Molecule Crystallographer: see position description at:
http://careers.vrtx.com/ (keyword: 6205BR)
Institution: Vertex Pharmaceuticals Incorporated
Location: Boston, MA, USA
Start Date: September 2014Contact: Apply through website
back to top